Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My music man.

Adam has been fascinated by music since the very beginning. I remember playing a music box for him when he was months old, and the sound literally stopped him in his tracks. As he grew older, music always calmed him down. His mobile stayed in his crib far longer than it should have, simply because he loved pressing that button if he woke up and needed to fall back asleep.

He just loves music. A few recent examples:

  • Last year at a local outdoor concert he stood near the stage dancing like a fool. Several people commented to me on a) his cuteness and b) his music appreciation.

  • At Jeff's company picnic this summer, there was a live "band," which consisted of two ladies who were singing and playing instruments (guitar and bass violin). While the other kids couldn't wait to go outside and play the games, Adam was sitting front and center, mesmerized by the women playing their instruments.

  • He begs to sit with us in church to listen to the music. Last week, his Sunday School class was full, so he was excited to hear that he would be sitting with us. As the worship part of the service was going on, Adam pulled a John Travolta in the aisles. Jeff told me after the service that he actually put his hands up "in praise" after seeing someone else do it. Awesome.

  • His current dance favorite is Michael Jackson's "Beat It." Now, I love me some old school MJ just as much as the next guy, but playing that "Thriller" album several times a week is definitely getting on my nerves. Seeing him dance around the kitchen however, isn't. And when I say dance, I mean dance. The kid's got moves.

  • His new favorite thing is to put together a "band" while the music is playing. He usually grabs his guitar, and sticks me with the drums. If Jeff's home, he's quickly handed the harmonica and becomes an (unwilling) participant in Adam's Amazing Band. I'll admit it: it puts a huge smile on my face to see him so excited at the cacophony of sounds. Poor Miles - I wonder what he thinks when all of this is going on? We must surely be a sight.

It will be interesting to see if this lean towards music continues. Will he be a musician? What will he play? Time will tell!

1 comment:

KS said...

Love it! My niece, although born to tone-deaf parents, has a similar appreciation for music. She called me yesterday to sing to me - she just learned the difference between "Christian music" and everything else so she made up several "Christian songs" with lyrics like, "I love Jesus, he loves meeee, he wants me to be goooood and love my mommy and dadddyyyy." When I told her how great it was she said, "I'm not done singing, Aunt Karen - I have LOTS of these!" Maybe OJ and Adam have a future together :)