Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Goodnight, Adam!

Putting Adam to bed is always bittersweet. By the end of the day, I'm beat and ready for some peace and quiet. However, he's usually on his best behavior when it's time for bed, and some of the sweetest moments are to be had.

Bedtime for Adam consists of the usual change into pj's and brushing teeth. Then it's time for a story or two (or three, if Jeff is putting him to bed!). Prayer comes next, and he's just now reciting our little prayer all by himself:

"Dear Jesus. Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray guide me through the night and wake me with the morning light. AMEN!!!"

Then we move onto thanking Jesus for people and things in our lives. "I love Daddy. I love Miles. I love Kristin. I love Carter. I love Uncle Ben. I love Uncle Allan. I love lawnmowers." Tonight he made sure to thank Jesus for lawnmowers. He's all boy, folks.

Hugs and kisses. Tuck Adam in, tuck Lightening McQueen and Dinoco goodnight (if they're not in bed with him, they're nearby). Turn fan on. Close door. Pray he stays in bed and falls asleep quickly.

Unless he's corrected, he completely forgets the "I pray the lord my soul to keep. May Angels guide me..." Nonetheless, his version of the prayer just as sweet. In time (probably sooner rather than later) he won't need to be reminded of the missing part. He'll do it all on his own. It'll be just one more thing that I won't have to coach him on - and with that comes the realization that he's growing up so quickly.

So quickly, yet he's still my baby. My afraid-of-pooping-still-wearing-a-diaper baby. So I guess he's not growing up that fast.

No comments: