Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas gift-giving thoughts.

I can't remember exactly where I heard this, but this little phrase has been popping in my head over and over this Christmas season. With regards to buying gifts for children, one woman sticks with ditty to help guide her Christmas shopping:

Something they want
Something they need
Something to wear
Something to read.

Isn't that fantastic? Using this phrase when Christmas shopping for your little ones (and big ones, for that matter!) would prevent overspending, over giving, and shopping burn out. I'm not alone when I say that shopping, particularly during the holidays stresses me out. And let's face it...kids (especially when they're young) don't really need a whole lot. Give my boys a new thing-on-wheels and I could call that Christmas. More importantly, sticking with these "rules" may free up some more time to focus on the real reason behind Christmas - Jesus and the miracle of His birth.

So, while it may be too late for you to put this phrase into practice this year, it may serve helpful to you in the years to come.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

nice, i've got all of those covered (and probably then some....oye)!

KS said...

I heard that for the first time this year, too, and I think it's going to be our guideline moving forward, too.