Monday, September 22, 2008

Three?? How can he be?

Three years ago today, at 12:25pm we heard the words "it's a BOY!" - Adam James was here. When I think about the day he was born, lots of snippets come into my mind: I remember looking at his feet first, and so had to ask Jeff if it was a boy or a girl; I remember the exact way his lips were shaped as he was crying; I remember being amazed at how big he was - all 9lbs 15oz of him. Most of all, I remember swelling with pride and loving him instantly - a huge, all-consuming love that only a parent knows.

Fast forward three years. Adam is a smart toddler who is obsessed with all things that have wheels. Construction vehicles. Monster trucks. Dirtbikes. Tractors. ATV's. You name it, he knows what it is, and probably owns a few in miniature form. He's tall - most people assume he's 4 or 5 years old (actual stats will come when he has his doctor appointment this week!). He's sensitive. He's shy. He loves his family. He's cute as can be (most of the time, anyways).

We had a party for him at our house this past Saturday. Everyone was able to come, so that made it a full house - literally. I am kicking myself, however, for forgetting to videotape the exact part of the party that I had set my camera out on the counter to videotape: the singing of "Happy Birthday To You." Believe me when I say that he throughly enjoyed that part of the celebration - he was beaming.

Of course, he also liked eating cake and opening his presents (" I think there's race cars in here!") - you know, typical birthday party fare. He went to bed a very happy boy that night.

There's really nothing like seeing a kid enjoying himself as he's surrounded by those that love him the most in this world. No matter the age, may he always feel as happy, safe and loved.

Happy Birthday, Adam!

UPDATE: Adam measured 42 1/4 inches tall and weighed 37.6lbs at today's appointment. Big boy!

No comments: